CRM 2011 – Dynamic Connector Error – The request failed with HTTP status 401: unauthorized

I was once again wrestling with a Dynamic Connector install.

The hardest thing about using the Dynamic Connector is as soon as you get an error, it’s practically impossible to find any help for it, I think this is due to not much has been written, they didn’t agree on a name for ages so you can’t prefix your search with something distinctive (e.g. connector is too ambiguous).

It’s quite frustrating when you searching for help and I keep getting diverted to my own blog, which didn’t have the answer (come on Hosk sort that out| what do you think I am doing right now)

The problem was trying to connect to the NAV Webservices.  I had enabled the connector webservices inside NAV (marketing, enable connector) and I had started the webservice and I could even connect to the web service using internet explorer but as soon as I tried to connect to the webservice inside of the connector I was getting an unauthorized error.



I checked the user I was using was  a domain user, they were an admin on the machine (not needed but a good sign I thought), they had the super role in NAV.  The user had all the credentials, so why was it throwing this message.

I changed the url I was typing to try

server name


full server with .local on it


none of the above worked.

What finally worked was to put in the ipaddress and then it worked without any problems.

I have to admit I don’t understand why this works and the others don’t but I have some vague idea it’s a security setting, possibly related to SPN but I’m not sure and I don’t really know how the web services in NAV work (what web server are they hosted in?)

Whilst searching for the problem I also found these articles which might be useful

how to turn on logging

Interesting forum discussion with other possible solutions



8 thoughts on “CRM 2011 – Dynamic Connector Error – The request failed with HTTP status 401: unauthorized

  1. Konstantin August 16, 2012 / 3:04 pm

    Hi Ben,
    Here is nothing wrong with Connector. Any third party application which using NAV Web Services will have same error message.
    Where is your NAV Server installed? Same box as SQL server (with NAV Database) or you have two different servers?
    If they separated (headache solution🙂 ) then you should go trough SPN nightmare.
    If they on the same box , then here is probably some other issue

    Cheers, Konstantin


  2. Surmeet November 9, 2012 / 4:39 pm

    In NAV webservice config settings, make NTLM=true. It will fix this issue.

    Surmeet Singh


  3. njoroge254 November 12, 2013 / 5:35 am

    Hi I’ve been looking for a solution to this error from all posts and blogs. Finally found it here, thanks a lot.


    • Surmeet November 12, 2013 / 2:07 pm

      Thanks. Happy to help.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s