CRM 2011 – an error occurred while connecting to the MSCRM_CONFIG database

I got this error today when suddenly and for no reason I could work out their CRM 2011 stopped working (this has happened twice in one week with two different customers).

I have blogged about this error before and if you have got this error then check out the blog below

https://crmbusiness.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/crm-2011-mscrm_config-database-is-unavailable/

This time it was the same except the previous solution wasn’t working, although I thought it should

When I was trying to diagnose the problem, I noticed the MSCRM_CONFIG database wasn’t attched but  also it wasn’t detached.

I also noticed there was another database created with a guid type name, when I opened the database I noticed it was basically a copy of the MSCRM_CONFIG database (in terms of tables).

I’m not sure how this happened but it looked like some kind of backup or transaction had caused a copy of the MSCRM_CONFIG database.  I looked at the physical files of the guid database and it had the physical name of MSCRM_CONFIG.mdf.

I think maybe the server lost power and when the server came back up the guid database opened it locked the MSCRM_CONFIG.mdf file so when the real MSCRM_CONFIG database tried to lock it couldn’t.

CRM cannot function if the MSCRM_CONFIG database is down because this is basically a systems setting type database with information for all the organisations on the server.

To resolve the problem I had to unattach the guid database and then attach the MSCRM_CONFIG database and it came up and everything was working again.

here is a screenshot of the dodgy guid database

Advertisements