CRM/NAV Connector – Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Another day working with the CRM/NAV connector and another error.

One of the frustrating aspects of the CRM/NAV connector is transferring the maps from one server to another (e.g. test to live).

Almost every time I have tried to do this it hasn’t worked and I have had to copy all the maps by hand.

Today I was trying it and then when I tried to open the CRM/NAV connector I was getting the error

“Object reference not set to an instance of an object”

The problem with the error above is it doesn’t really give you an indication what exactly is wrong.

If you search for the problem you will find a microsoft page – Trouble: integrating the connector

Resolving issues when reinstalling Microsoft Dynamics NAV and starting the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics

When you reinstall Microsoft Dynamics NAV and then try to start the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics, you may see the following message:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

To resolve this error, enable the Connector in Microsoft Dynamics NAV, verify that Microsoft Dynamics NAV web services are turned on, and then start the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics again.

This didn’t solve the problem because the web service was running.

The solution to the problem this time I found on this page

http://nav-connector.com/?p=88

Basically the problem was caused when I created a map from file, it had created rows on the MSDI database (the database the connector uses) with nulls in.

Thank fully the blog page above supplies the solution

  1. Open SQL Management Studio for server where NAV Connector database was installed
  2. Find Maps table in MSDI database
  3. Open Maps table in Edit mode
  4. Delete all records where ReaderBinder and WriterBinder is NULL

Another problem I had after this was one CRM/NAV connector integration could import maps from file and another one couldn’t.

so I had to import them into one and then copy them to the other but this didn’t actually work because it was creating nulls in the MSDI database, which means I have to type them out manually again.

I have to say I have spent days trying to configure the connector and searching for solutions to mysterious problems.

The connector might be free to download but it costs you a lot in time trying to work out how to configure it and why it’s not working.